1. Don’t let unused space go to waste. If you have a page that isn’t being used, figure out a way to use it. My planner pages come with a Business Expenses chart at the end of each set of monthly pages. I don’t need it to track business expenses but it works great for tracking goals.
2. If you need to put contact information in you’re address pages temporarily, use pencil, or better yet, put the information on a post-it note. When you no longer need the information, erase or toss.
3. Use the area between sections for specific information. There’s nothing between my YZ tab and my monthly calendars so rather than use up one of my tabs, I use that area for as an in-box. No, it’s not labeled but I know it’s there.
4. If you have room on your monthly calendars, record big or important events and mark them so you can find them quickly. I have them in my Monthly Index but sometimes it’s easier just to glance through my monthly pages.
5. Use symbols on your Notes pages so you can see at a glance the different topics. Or you can even use headings.
6. Write wherever you want to! Just because there are boxes for certain things doesn’t mean you can’t write elsewhere. I take advantage of every space.
7. Write reminders to yourself directly on your pages.
8. Add pages to make things easier. I pay my bills weekly. When I record the bills on my bill paying chart, I used to flip back to my monthly pages so I could figure out which week the bill needed to be paid. Finally I got sick of doing that and taped a calendar to the tab next to my bill paying chart. So much easier!!!
9. Write each day’s menu on a post-it note and stick it on the appropriate page. Then if plans change and you don’t make that meal, move the note to another day.
10. If your day gets complicated and your original to-do list doesn’t work anymore, don’t switch planners! Instead, insert a blank piece of paper, make a new list, get done what you can, and start fresh tomorrow. This works, too, if you just need to do something different for a day or two. It doesn’t mean you need a new planner format.
Nothing spectacular here, just a bunch of little things that make my planner work better for me. What do you do to make your planner work better for you?