Groceries are expensive and getting more expensive all the time! These days there are lots and lots of articles about ways to save money on groceries using coupons. In fact, there are entire websites devoted to updating you on sales and providing coupons for you to use.
But what if coupons aren’t your style? If you still want to save money, here are ten ways you can:
- Shop the sales. Most grocery stores provide a weekly flyer that lists all the sales. If you design your menu around the sales, you can save money on your weekly bill.
- Stockpile. You can also take advantage of the really good sales to buy extras of the sale items you know you’ll use.
- Have a couple of meals each week that are really economical, like Lentil Casserole.
- Buy your non-food items at a place like Dollar General and only buy food at the grocery store.
- Buy fruits and vegetables that are in-season. Strawberries in the winter cost a fortune, but in the summer, they’re not too bad.
- Use off brands whenever possible. Sometimes the off brands taste just as good as the store brands and sometimes they don’t. Through trial and error you can figure out when off brands can save you money.
- Cook from scratch. Processed foods often (but not always) cost more than if you cook the same items yourself. Do some cost comparison and see when homemade can save you money.
- Skip a week. Obviously you’ll have to get milk, eggs, bread, fruits and vegetables, but skip all the rest and use up what’s in your freezer, pantry or stockpile.
- Shop from a list. Make a detailed grocery list, complete with prices. Add up the prices and make sure you’re on budget. When you go to the store, don’t buy anything that isn’t on the list. If you forget something and have to have it, remove something of equal value that you can do without.
- Shop with cash. If you really need to stick to your budget, the best way is to use cash. When you’re using cash, you can’t spend it if you don’t have it.
If you want to try your hand at saving money with coupons, guest blogger Elizabeth Scholes wrote a series of articles that will walk you through the process. You can find the Couponing Series in the sidebar.