Have you ever gone shopping for a specific item only to realize it didn’t exist? Or maybe it used to but it doesn’t now? That happens to me all the time! I see something interesting, think about it for a while, go back to get it and it’s nowhere to be found.
Last fall I went on a search for a new comforter for our bed. I wrote about it here. Despite my best efforts, I struck out. In the meantime, our existing comforter was getting more and more ratty looking. But if I can’t find what I want, I can’t find what I want! What’s a girl to do?!
Well, a girl (or guy) has some options when he or she can’t find what they want and here are a few of them:
1. If you can, wait a while and see if the item you want turns up. This technique is especially effective if the item you’re looking for is out of season. If it’s out of season, you’re probably out of luck unless you order on-line. But when the season rolls around again . . .
2. Modify. If you find something that’s close, maybe you can change it a little to make it what you want.
3. Give up and go with something else. It’s possible the thing you’re looking for just isn’t going to be found and it’s time for Plan B.
4. Think outside the box. Sometimes you can come up with an alternative that works just as well or better. When we were looking for curtain rods, we couldn’t find anything we liked in our price range. So we made our own out of closet poles and plumbing supplies. You can read about it here.
5. Make it yourself. We do this a lot. Since I couldn’t find a comforter I liked for our bed, I made a quilt. Here’s how it turned out:
And when we needed a cabinet for the kitchen, we couldn’t find anything we liked that was in our price range, so handy husband, David, made this:
Does this ever happen to you? What do you do when you can’t find what you want?