Maybe it’s the unseasonably warm day we’re having here in the Midwest, or maybe I’m just tired, but I’m not very motivated to do much of anything today. Do you ever have days like that? You have plenty to do but can’t make yourself do any of it. When you hit the wall, here are some ideas for getting through it:
- Just go with it. Take the day (or evening) off and relax. Maybe you need it. All that stuff you don’t get done will still be there when you’re ready to tackle it. And hopefully, having gotten that out of your system, when you get started you’ll get your tasks done in record time.
- Push through. If you’re one of those people who’s extremely self-disciplined (I don’t happen to be one of them), you could just force yourself to do what you need to do. Many times, once you get started, motivation follows.
- Give yourself a short break, like an hour or two, to do whatever you want. But when time is up, get back to work.
- Delay your break. Tell yourself you’ll finish x number of items on your list and then you can take an hour to do whatever you want.
- Choose something from your list that’s easy or somewhat relaxing. I’m working on a new quilt and like to spend at least a half an hour a day working on it. I usually do my quilting in the evening when I’m watching tv, but there’s no rule that says I have to do it then. Working on it in the afternoon might be just the thing to get me over the hump and it was on my list anyway.
So what am I going to do? I’m going to sit on the couch and read for an hour and then I’m going to tackle my list. What will you do the next time you’re not motivated???