A Detailed Look at 7 Days of My Franklin Covey Daily Pages

Franklin Covey Planner

Pin It

Yes, I went back to my Franklin Covey compact.  We all knew I probably would.  There’s a reason I’ve used it for 20 years, and I guess it’s because it works – at least for me and at least most of the time.

Today’s post is something a little different.  I’m going to give you a glimpse into my days – seven of them to be exact.  Below are copies of the last seven days of my planner pages.  The only thing I’ve hidden from your view is sensitive information.  Otherwise, it’s all me and all real.

You’ll notice that I write everywhere and I make my to-do list all kinds of different ways.  You’ll also notice that some days I get a lot done and some days I get next to nothing done.  My schedule is very unpredictable so my plans frequently change multiple times in one day.  I didn’t do it this week, but sometimes I add a blank piece of paper for a new list or I use a post-it for the next thing and then the next thing, etc.  I’m never locked in to a certain way of planning – I modify as the need arises.

So take a look at the last seven days of my life and let me know if you have any questions (or suggestions).

Franklin Covey 2 pages per day

Franklin Covey 2 pages per day

Franklin Covey 2 pages per day

Franklin Covey 2 pages per day

Franklin Covey 2 pages per day

Franklin Covey 2 pages per day

Franklin Covey 2 pages per day

Other time management and planner articles are available in the
Time Management Index.

Comments

1. Jennifer says:

Wow! I love this post! So detailed and helpful to see your planner like this! You are such a great blogger Patty! And have such great posts! I really learn so much from you! Jennifer

2. Crystal Charles says:

Thank you for sharing! I tried using these FC pages but felt like I wasn’t using them very well. The way you break them up make smore sense to me than the way I tried to use them.

• Good. That’s what I was going for. I wanted to show people that there are lots of ways to use a planner page besides the way it’s designed.

3. Thank you so much for sharing these. It’s always interesting to see someone’s planning process. I love that you use your planner to track details on your grandkids. I want to do that in theory about my kids, but I’m so ingrained in thinking of my planner as for work (and work is a disproportionate amount of my life right now), that I haven’t consistently managed that.

New binder I see :D I almost bought a red Compact from FC in February, but talked myself out of it when I looked around at the eBay planners I had accumulated in the last two months. I started testing a a Filofax A5 this past weekend. I’m having a harder time adjusting to the Day per Page than I expected – 2 1/2 months of DO2P in the smaller size led to new habits. I keep looking at the left hand page for the schedule and the right for the tasks.
    Bree recently posted…No wonder I can’t think straight – or why a Filofax can’t solve my brain-fogMy Profile

• Bree – I tracked details about my kids in my FC planners since 1993. I have a wealth of awesome information about them! Several years ago I made a photo album for my daughter-in-law with photos and stories about my son, her husband. I pulled the stories from my planners. I had a blast going through my archive books and reading what I wrote. I still getting them out sometimes just for fun because of all the stuff I wrote. And yes, I’m doing it about my grandkids now. My planner is my LIFE. You can read through my pages and see not just to-do lists or schedules but who I am and what I think and what was going on with my family.

I tried a day per page, too, but it didn’t work for me. I’ve never been able to do anything but two pages per day. It works very well for me.

4. Brenda Jones says:

I really enjoyed reading this post. This is just what I was looking for in trying to combine my personal and home life. My next planner with be a day on 2 pages.

5. Patty, you should make a book out of your planners! It should be from the pictures, just like in this post!

6. Denise says:

Thanks for sharing this post and telling us it is ok to use your planner in ways that work for you. I have for the past few years used a week on 2 pages but this year I took advantage of the Daytimer’s coupon blitz and bought a Teal Malibu with their Flavia 2 pages for 1 day inserts. At first I struggled with them as my life isn’t busy as it used to be and my living arrangements changed also. I have gone back to my FC planner because it has bigger rings even tho I love the softness of the DT and I have changed the way I am using the pages.

Got some tips from this site that I will be putting into use.

7. Patty, great post! You always know just what is most helpful, when you blog. I am reading and re-reading this post, gleaning insights about following what works. I have a new Mac, with some very Franklin-looking copy cat software, which syncs to my iPad and iPhone. After 25 years I am trying to be more mobile. My life has changed in a way that requires something more portable than my classic size Franklin. Do you ever battle that emotional pull toward what is familiar? Have you ever overcome that, and found that doing something new really was better after all?

• I definitely have experienced that emotional pull to what’s familiar and I have found that doing something new really was better. For me, the trick to change is sticking with the new for at least 30 days. My natural reaction is to switch to the new and then immediately switch back to the familiar. I usually repeat that process several times. If I can get myself to stay with the new for a while, then I can move on. But it’s tough.

Maybe you could just commit to trying the new system for 30 days and if you don’t think it’s better after that, you can switch back or try something else. But you have to wait 30 days.

Good luck! Change is tough!!!

• Some things go without saying….THIS should not: THANK YOU so much for taking the time you do to respond to our posts. You have so much going on every day, yet you make time. There are lots of “bloggers” out there. But you stand out among them all. There’s hope in the practical, day-in, day-out stuff of life that not a lot of people “get.” You do. And I am very grateful! Sending encouragement right back to ya!

• Cheryl says:

Ditto! I don’t always take the time to comment but I do read this blog and the replies to comments as well. Your diligence and courtesy in replying to your commenters doesn’t go unnoticed…or unappreciated!

• Thank you, Debi – you made my day. I was discouraged about the blog today and you helped a lot.

8. Debbie says:

Patty Thank you so much for sharing your planner! You are a terrific inspiration to me and to my sister. We love our planners and whenever you post about yours we are so excited! Love your blog!

Debbie

9. Great post Patty. I was wondering when you would go back to you trusty compact size. What binder is the red one in the photo?

• I believe it’s a FC Locksmith. I got it several months ago but wasn’t sure I liked it so I haven’t used it. It has 1″ rings which is new for me. I’ve been using 1.25 forever! I’ll have to see how it goes. So far I don’t like the binder. The pen loops get in the way and the binder itself is slick so I have trouble holding onto it. But it’s definitely pretty!!!

I guess you have me figured out! It didn’t take long for me to go back to compact.

10. Michele says:

Thank you Patty for sharing. I have been looking for a planner for over a month.
    I am a stay at home mom with 2 young adult kids. So my planning is not like
    most people, since I do not work. I still needed a planner.
    I have purchased a spiral Pad Planner,which I will get in the mail in a few days.
    I want one like you all, but I didn’t want to scare myself before I started ;-)
    Once again thank you for sharing, and helping people like me, who just needed
    a little push and some ideas. :-)

• Do you mean a Planner Pad or is it something else? If it’s a Planner Pad, that’s a great planner. I’ve played around with that one but I needed daily pages.

I’m a stay-at-home mom, too, except my kids are grown and gone. My grandkids are over frequently. So my schedule is a bit crazy, too. I can relate to your needs being a little bit different.

Good luck with the new planner and let me know if you need any help.

Trackbacks

1. Design Blog says:

Compact Locksmith Binder Red

[...] works. I have a new Mac, with some very Franklin-looking copy cat software, whi [...]

2. […] A Detailed Look at 7 Days of My Franklin Covey Daily Pages […]