House cleaning doesn’t have to be complicated or time consuming. Who wants to spend all their free time cleaning?! But you do need a system. So if you’re having trouble getting started (or stopping), here’s a basic weekly cleaning list I’ve been using for years.
2. Glass. This includes mirrors, glass doors, tv & computer screens, and the insides of windows, as needed. My granddaughter loves sitting on the back of the chair in the living room and putting her hands on the window. When she’s done, the window is a mess! And sometimes my bad black Lab gets in that same chair and slimes the window. So that piece of glass usually needs cleaned. But I don’t clean all the windows – only the ones that need it.
3. Kitchen. I do a few basics in the kitchen including sink, microwave (which is never very bad because we use a cover when we reheat food), stove top (again not bad if you wipe it up after you use it), and replace the sponge.
4. Bathroom. I wipe up the bathroom daily so all I have to do is clean the tub/shower.
5. Change the sheets.
6. Pets. Replace the kitty litter and refill food containers (the cat has a dish that dispenses food so I just refill it weekly).
7. Dump all the trash cans.
Keep in mind that the list above is in addition to daily chores which include:
- Straighten the house (dishes, put things away)
- sweep or vacuum as needed
- touch-up the bathroom
If you do these chores weekly, your house should look pretty darn good and you won’t spend your life cleaning. And they really don’t take that long. If I work straight through the list, without getting sidetracked, I can usually finish in about an hour and a half at the most.
If you don’t have time to do the weekly chores in one block, split them into two cleaning sessions or spread them out over the week.
Do you have a weekly cleaning list? What’s on your list?