I saw this recipe the other day and couldn’t help myself – I had to make it just to see what it tasted like. I couldn’t imagine a flour tortilla with apple pie filling tasting good so I had to see for myself. In fact, my whole family was curious! The verdict: delicious!
- 21 ounce can apple pie filling
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas (if you’re thinking about substituting corn, I wouldn’t recommend it)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup water
Spoon about one heaping quarter cup of pie filling evenly down the center of each tortilla.
Sprinkle apples with cinnamon, roll up, tucking in edges; place seam side down in prepared dish (I used a greased 9×13 dish but if would be better if you had a dish that fit better – so the sauce wasn’t swimming in empty corners of the dish).
In medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, white sugar, brown sugar and water. Bring to a boil stirring constantly, reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes.
Pour sauce over enchiladas and let stand at least 45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350. Bake 20 minutes or until golden.
Serve with vanilla ice cream (spoon the sauce from the pan over the ice cream – if you want a lot of sauce, double the sauce recipe. We didn’t and had enough for our taste.)
- I prepared these in the early afternoon and let them soak for probably 3 or 4 hours.
- When I was rolling the tortillas, I found it was easier to fold up the ends and then roll. I think it would be easier if you warmed the tortillas a little, too. Mine cracked a little as I was rolling.
- I thought about making my own apple pie filling but realized that if I do, I’ll have to cook the filling first. The enchiladas don’t cook long enough for the apples to get soft. And if you cook them long enough, they’ll be burned. So either cook your filling in advance or just stick with canned apple pie filling.
- This recipe is best served warm or re-heated.
recipe from Cornfed Momma
Latest posts by Patty (see all)
- When Life Messes up your Menu Plan - March 13, 2016
- Why I Don’t Ever Want Another French Door Refrigerator - March 10, 2016
- When Your Best Friend Needs a Planner . . . - March 9, 2016