My family flipped over these lasagna buns. And even better is that they were SO easy to make!
- 8 submarine or hoagie buns (8 inches) (1)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup spaghetti sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make a 2-inch wide v-shaped cut in the center of each bun to within one inch of the bottom. Remove cut portion and save for another use. Place buns on ungreased baking sheet.
In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking into small crumbles; drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce, garlic powder and Italian seasoning; heat through. (2)
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and half the cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Spoon meat sauce into buns; top with ricotta mixture. (3) Cover loosely with foil.
Bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle tops with remaining cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Bake, uncovered, 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
(1) Be sure to get buns that are NOT pre-cut.
(1) I only had 6 buns since that’s what came in the package. I just filled them as full as we could.
(2) I didn’t heat it through. I just mixed it up.
(3) Here’s the part in every recipe where I didn’t pay attention. I didn’t notice the meat and cheese were kept separate. I combined everything in one bowl and spooned it into the rolls. I’ll do it that way the next time I make them, too.
from Taste of Home magazine, June/July 2013