This recipe was a big hit at my house. Everybody loved it. I served it with garlic bread and a salad. You could easily make it ahead and pop it in the oven later. It would freeze well, too.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 (25-ounce) jars marinara sauce
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (16-ounce) package ziti, cooked according to package directions (2)
- 2 (8-ounce) packages shredded mozzarella cheese
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 6 minutes or until tender. Stir in marinara sauce and Italian seasoning. Remove from heat.
In a small bowl, stir together ricotta and sour cream.
Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread half of pasta in prepared dish. Top with half of marinara mixture, all of ricotta mixture, and half of mozzarella. Top with remaining pasta, marinara, and mozzarella. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
(1) To make this a heartier dish, you can add 1 pound ground beef, Italian sausage or ground turkey. Add meat to the pan with the onion and garlic; drain before adding marinara sauce. I added ½ pound ground beef (it was all I had).
(2) I couldn’t get ziti so I used penne.