This is a hearty quick bread that tastes perfect with soup or just for a snack. Easy and quick to make.
- 3 cups flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
2. Cut in 3 tbsp. butter until mixture resembles cornmeal.
3. Combine & stir well:
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 egg whites
4. Add to flour mixture, stirring until moist (dough will be wet and sticky):
- Buttermilk mixture
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (3 medium)
5. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; with floured hands, knead dough lightly four times. Pat dough into 9-inch circle on a baking sheet (I use a pie plate). Sprinkle 1 tbsp. brown sugar over dough (I am generous with the brown sugar), gently pressing into dough. Cut into 12 wedges, cutting into but not through dough. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden (I usually stick a toothpick in center to be sure it’s done).
Latest posts by Patty (see all)
- Are a Grocery List and Menu Plan Really Necessary?! - February 9, 2016
- Salmon & Spinach Salad with Avocado - February 9, 2016
- What’s For Dinner (No. 192) & Cooking Tips, Too! - December 14, 2015