I tried several different meat loaf recipes before I found this one. Once I tried this recipe, I stopped looking. I’m not a huge fan of meat loaf but I really like this recipe. I think I found it in Taste of Home magazine about 15 years ago. I usually serve it with green beans, refrigerator mashed potatoes and 60 minute rolls.
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 c. milk
- 3 slices bread, torn into pieces
- ½ c. chopped onion
- ½ c. grated carrot
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar or mozzarella
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. basil
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1-1/2 lbs. lean ground beef (I use 93/7)
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. mustard
In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk and bread; let stand a few minutes or until bread absorbs the liquids. Stir in the onion, carrot, cheese, herbs and seasonings. Add beef. Mix well.
In a shallow baking pan, shape beef mixture into a 7-1/2 x 3-1/2 x 2-1/2 loaf. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Combine topping ingredients; spoon some over meat loaf. Bake about 30 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink, occasionally spooning some of the remaining topping over loaf.
Let stand 10 minutes before serving. 6 servings.
Latest posts by Patty (see all)
- Tracking on Regular Planner Pages - February 10, 2016
- Are a Grocery List and Menu Plan Really Necessary?! - February 9, 2016
- Salmon & Spinach Salad with Avocado - February 9, 2016