my problem and how I’m solving it!
Problem: I spend too much at the grocery store. Well, maybe not too much but more than I want to. While working on the budget for July, I realized the monthly money would go a lot further if I could cut back on groceries a bit. In all honesty, I’ve tried before and have failed miserably. But I’m going to do it this time and I’ve enlisted some help from Elizabeth who has written a series of articles on couponing and other ways to save money. You can read those articles here.
I contacted Elizabeth a couple of weeks ago and explained my situation. This is the gist of what I said:
- I’m spending more at the grocery store than I want to. Right now I’m spending about $200 to $225 per week. My goal is to spend $150 per week.
- That grocery budget feeds two of us plus a dog, a cat, and various family members who eat dinner with us regularly.
- My grocery budget includes dog food, cat food, kitty litter, toiletries, cleaners and paper goods.
- We eat the majority of our meals at home.
- My husband, David, eats a LOT and he likes healthy stuff like rice milk, walnuts, Greek yogurt, natural peanut butter, unsweetened applesauce, V8 Fusion, whole wheat bread, etc.
- I don’t like shopping or cutting coupons.
- I currently grocery shop once per week at HyVee.
- My budget also includes diapers and a few other kid-friendly items for the grandkids.
- I’m constantly trying new recipes for this blog.
Elizabeth asked to see a few of my grocery receipts which I gladly provided. She reviewed three weeks worth of receipts and made some suggestions. As a result of our conversation, these are my assignments for this week (week one):
- Organize & prepare inventory of freezer and pantry.
- Find salad dressing recipes.
- Make cleaners including all-purpose cleaner, window cleaner, laundry soap & dishwasher soap.
- Try Aldi’s next week.
- Make a menu from what I have on hand so I can stock up on sale items (Elizabeth’s number one way to save money on groceries is stockpiling.)
So we’re off! Follow along with me as I attempt to trim my weekly grocery budget. Check back next Monday to see how I did and see what my next batch of assignments will be. And please feel free to share your strategies for saving money at the grocery store.
Latest posts by Patty (see all)
- When Life Messes up your Menu Plan - March 13, 2016
- Why I Don’t Ever Want Another French Door Refrigerator - March 10, 2016
- When Your Best Friend Needs a Planner . . . - March 9, 2016