my problem and how I’m solving it!
Problem: I spend too much at the grocery store. Well, maybe not too much but more than I want to. While working on the budget for July, I realized the monthly money would go a lot further if I could cut back on groceries a bit. In all honesty, I’ve tried before and have failed miserably. But I’m going to do it this time and I’ve enlisted some help from Elizabeth who has written a series of articles on couponing and other ways to save money. You can read those articles here.
I contacted Elizabeth a couple of weeks ago and explained my situation. This is the gist of what I said:
- I’m spending more at the grocery store than I want to. Right now I’m spending about $200 to $225 per week. My goal is to spend $150 per week.
- That grocery budget feeds two of us plus a dog, a cat, and various family members who eat dinner with us regularly.
- My grocery budget includes dog food, cat food, kitty litter, toiletries, cleaners and paper goods.
- We eat the majority of our meals at home.
- My husband, David, eats a LOT and he likes healthy stuff like rice milk, walnuts, Greek yogurt, natural peanut butter, unsweetened applesauce, V8 Fusion, whole wheat bread, etc.
- I don’t like shopping or cutting coupons.
- I currently grocery shop once per week at HyVee.
- My budget also includes diapers and a few other kid-friendly items for the grandkids.
- I’m constantly trying new recipes for this blog.
Elizabeth asked to see a few of my grocery receipts which I gladly provided. She reviewed three weeks worth of receipts and made some suggestions. As a result of our conversation, these are my assignments for this week (week one):
- Organize & prepare inventory of freezer and pantry.
- Find salad dressing recipes.
- Make cleaners including all-purpose cleaner, window cleaner, laundry soap & dishwasher soap.
- Try Aldi’s next week.
- Make a menu from what I have on hand so I can stock up on sale items (Elizabeth’s number one way to save money on groceries is stockpiling.)
So we’re off! Follow along with me as I attempt to trim my weekly grocery budget. Check back next Monday to see how I did and see what my next batch of assignments will be. And please feel free to share your strategies for saving money at the grocery store.