Once in a while (okay, maybe more often than once in a while), I can’t seem to get motivated. I have plenty to do and I pretty much know what I need to do but I just can’t make myself do it. When that happens, I have several strategies to choose from that usually get me going. For example:
1. Figure out why. Occasionally I have a good reason for not being motivated. It could be illness, fatigue, boredom, no list, etc. Figuring out why sometimes solves the problem simply by knowing what’s going on.
2. Set a timer for 15 minutes and do something. I can’t tell you the number of times setting the timer has fixed the problem. Once I get going, I’m off and running.
3. Make a list of 5 really easy things and mark each of them off as I do them. Then make a list of 5 more.
4. Offer myself a reward if I do something. For example, clean the bathroom and then I can read for 15 minutes.
5. If I need to clean the bathroom, for example, but I don’t want to, I’ll break it down into smaller steps:
- Refill toilet paper
- Dump Trash
- Mirror & Window
- Shake rug
Then I pick one or two and do those and then go do something else. Usually I end up finishing the whole room once I get started but knowing I only have to do one thing makes it easier to get started.
If none of those strategies work to get me motivated, most likely nothing will and I may as well call it a day and sit on the couch and read.
What do you do to get motivated?
Latest posts by Patty (see all)
- Tracking on Regular Planner Pages - February 10, 2016
- Are a Grocery List and Menu Plan Really Necessary?! - February 9, 2016
- Salmon & Spinach Salad with Avocado - February 9, 2016