David LOVED this recipe, especially the way I modified it. He said he would definitely like for me to make it again. Next time I might make it without the mushrooms – then I would eat it, too.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken thighs (1)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms (about 2 cups) (2)
- 1 cup brown rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups asparagus, cut into 2” pieces (3)
Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the oil and chicken. Brown the chicken for 5 minutes per side. Remove from the pot.
Add the onion to the same pot and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until it begins to soften. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes, or until they begin to soften. (4)
Add the rice, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until the rice begins to lightly toast. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
Return the chicken to the pot. (5) Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add the asparagus. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
(1) I used 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
(2) I used a 6-ounce jar of sliced mushrooms, drained.
(3) Be sure to snap off the ends first. I used a 16-ounce bundle.
(4) If you don’t like mushrooms, this recipe will be just as good without them.
(5) My family doesn’t like chunks of meat like this. So first I was going to cut each piece of chicken into small pieces. Then I decided to try shredding it in my Kitchen-Aid. That didn’t work. Then I put it in my food processor and pulsed it lightly. That worked pretty well. Then I put it in the pot with the remaining ingredients. Next time I’ll definitely cut it into smaller pieces but probably just with my knife or I’ll let it cook and then right before serving, remove it from the pot & shred.
Latest posts by Patty (see all)
- When Life Messes up your Menu Plan - March 13, 2016
- Why I Don’t Ever Want Another French Door Refrigerator - March 10, 2016
- When Your Best Friend Needs a Planner . . . - March 9, 2016