This recipe from The Runner’s World Cookbook was a bit hit at my house. The delicious berries topped with an oat streusel and a little bit of dark chocolate hit the spot.
- 2 bags (12 ounces each) frozen mixed berries, such as strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries, thawed and drained, or 5 cups fresh berries
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup dark or bittersweet chocolate chips
- Vanilla ice cream
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, mix the berries and cornstarch. (If using thawed frozen fruit, use the greater amount of cornstarch.) Pour the fruit into an 8×8” glass baking dish.
In a small bowl, combine the honey, oats, wheat germ, brown sugar, cinnamon, and almonds. Spread over the berry mixture. Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove the dish from the oven and top evenly with the chocolate chips. Return the dish to the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the chocolate is melted. Serve warm topped with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Yield: 8 servings
From The Runner’s World Cookbook
Recipe by Liz Applegate, PhD