Awesome. Amazing. Delicious. This Chocolate Caramel Cracker Bar recipe was out of this world! I’ll admit I was skeptical. Soda crackers as the base? That just didn’t sound like it would be good. But this dessert was amazing. You might want to think about making it for Christmas. It’s easy and awesome. The only problem is that you can’t just eat one. I can usually take or leave dessert but these were irresistable.
- 1 teaspoon plus ¾ cup margarine, cubed
- 45 Club crackers (2-1/2 inch x 1 inch)
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
Line a 9-inch square baking pan with foil and grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter. Arrange a single layer of crackers in the pan.
In a large saucepan, combine the milk, brown sugar, corn syrup and remaining butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to maintain a low boil; cook and stir for 7 minutes. Remove from heat. Evenly spread a third of the mixture over the crackers. Repeat cracker and caramel layers twice.
Immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over the caramel; let stand 3-5 minutes or until glossy. Spread over top. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chocolate is set. Using foil, lift layers out of pan; cut into 3-inch x 1 inch bars. Makes 27 bars.
- I sprayed the foil with Pam instead of greasing it with butter.
- I never have great luck making caramel and I was sure I had ruined this batch. The butter didn’t blend very well so I was worried I messed it up. I stirred the mixture before I poured it onto the layers and it turned out fine.
- The crackers don’t fit perfectly into the 9×9 pan so when you get to the edge, just trim them to fit. They don’t have to be perfect.
- And when you’re cutting them, you don’t have to follow the cracker lines.
from Taste of Home Magazine, August/September 2012