Does your kitchen look like a tornado hit it after you cook a meal? Does it look like mine did in these pictures?
I don’t normally make a mess like that. I clean as I go so things don’t get out of hand. But on that day I mismanaged my time and planned too many labor intensive dishes for the same time. And rather than stop and take a few minutes to figure out exactly what I needed to do and when, I dived in like a chicken with its head cut off and just went at it. The results were that parts of my meal were done too early and my kitchen was a disaster.
Here’s what I should have done (and what I normally do):
- Make a simple schedule of when each dish needs to go into the oven and when each dish needs to be prepared.
- Empty the dishwasher before I start cooking so I can put dishes in as I finish with them.
- Have the trash can handy. Or you can do what I do and put a bowl on the counter that’s just for trash and scraps. It’s more convenient than the trash can, and when I’m finished, I empty it into the trash.
- As I complete different tasks, I clean up any mess I’ve made: put dishes in the dishwasher; throw away trash; wipe up the counter; put ingredients away.
- Rinse and re-use whenever possible – measuring spoons, measuring cups, bowls, etc.
Planning ahead and cleaning as you go makes meal preparation a lot easier and less stressful. I hope it’s a long time before I do something like that again!