The first time I made potato salad was for my dad. We were going to his house for dinner – he was grilling burgers – and he mentioned that some potato salad would sure taste good with the burgers. I had never made it before but decided I’d surprise him and make some. I was a little nervous about it but it wasn’t hard at all. And in the process, I discovered that my husband liked potato salad so now I make it regularly for him – he especially enjoys taking it in his lunch.
- 6 medium potatoes (2 pounds)
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 hard cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
In covered saucepan, cook potatoes in boiling salted water for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender (I microwave the potatoes 10 to 14 minutes); drain well. Peel (if you want to) and cube potatoes. Transfer to large bowl.
Add onion (I used dehydrated onion flakes from my spice drawer and just toss in a little).
Combine mayonnaise, sugar, celery seed (if you don’t like or don’t have the celery seed, just leave it out), vinegar, mustard and salt. Add mayonnaise mixture to potatoes. Toss lightly to coat potato mixture.
Carefully fold in the chopped eggs. Cover and chill thoroughly. 8 servings.
Latest posts by Patty (see all)
- When Life Messes up your Menu Plan - March 13, 2016
- Why I Don’t Ever Want Another French Door Refrigerator - March 10, 2016
- When Your Best Friend Needs a Planner . . . - March 9, 2016