“Cleaning as you go” keeps your house from getting too messy. “Planning as you go” keeps you from forgetting important information or dates. “De-cluttering-as-you-go” prepares you for when the thrift store calls and says, “We have a truck in your area next Tuesday. Do you have anything you’d like to donate?” And because you’re prepared, you say, “I sure do.”
Wait a minute. Are you prepared? If not, here’s a simple way you can be.
- Get a box or container.
- Label the box or container “Thrift Store”.
- Put the box in a central location. You can even have two boxes in two central locations.
- Every time you see something that doesn’t fit or you don’t use any more, drop it in the box.
- When the thrift store calls, put the date on your calendar.
- The night before they’re scheduled to stop by, set the box out or dump the stuff into a bag and set it outside.
Wasn’t that easy? Now you have less clutter in your house and others will benefit from your generosity.
By the way, if your thrift store doesn’t pick up, you can still use the box method but it will take a little more effort. When the box is full, figure out a time when you’ll be near your local thrift store and drop it off then.