French door refrigerators have been popular for a while now and David and I jumped on the bandwagon when we remodeled the kitchen at our last house. It seemed like the perfect refrigerator. And it does have a lot of positive qualities, like:
- Easy access to the refrigerator section since it’s at the top. I really love that.
- It looks classy.
- Since there are two doors instead of one, you can have both of them open without blocking the walkway, especially in a galley kitchen like I have.
- When you open both doors all the way, everything is easy to get to.
- Mine has three roomy drawers, especially the bottom one.
But . . . there are a several features we’re not crazy about.
- In order to open either of the top two drawers, the bottom drawer has to be closed. The bottom drawer has a lid that raises up automatically. When I put groceries away, I would like to be able to have all three drawers open at the same time but because of the lid, I can’t.
- In order to open any of the three drawers, you have to open both refrigerator doors. Sometimes my hands are full and I can’t do it so I put items on the shelf intending to put them in the drawer later (no, I don’t usually end up putting them away – but my husband does and reminds me that it’s very simple to open the drawer and put the item IN the drawer not ON the shelf. And yes, that’s a pet peeve of his.)
- The freezer has two drawers and the ice maker is at the back far left corner of the top drawer. It’s SO inconvenient to get to, especially if the freezer is full.
These features are annoying but not deal breakers. But there is one thing that is a deal breaker. It’s the whole reason we don’t want another French door refrigerator:
My previous refrigerator was the old style with the freezer on the top and the refrigerator on the bottom with one door for each. I could get SO MUCH in that freezer! Seriously – it was amazing. But the freezer on my French door refrigerator isn’t like that. There are two drawers and they have to be packed flat. I can hardly get anything in there and boxes are the worst – especially pizza boxes. If you try to close either drawer, but especially the lower one, and anything is sticking up even the tiniest amount, it won’t close. I’m not a cusser but that freezer has made me want to cuss plenty of times. I hate it SO much.
So when we sell our house, hopefully soon, we’re leaving the refrigerator if the buyers want it. We want to start over with something that doesn’t make us want to cuss.
What kind of refrigerator do you have?