Okay – the truth is, this recipe took a fair amount of time to put together. But if you have the time and motivation, it’s worth it. And by the way, it really does cook all day and it makes a lot. It makes a lot, so use the biggest crock pot you have.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 pounds red potatoes, thinly sliced and divided
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen chopped broccoli, thawed, coarsely chopped and divided
- 1 (12-ounce) package cooked diced ham, divided
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese, divided (1)
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes or until just tender. Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, cream, pepper and salt. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, for 10 minutes, or until mixture is thickened.
In a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker, layer ¼ of potatoes. Top with ¼ broccoli, ¼ ham, ¼ corn and ¼ cup of each cheese. Pour ¼ cup cream mixture over cheese. Repeat layers 3 times, ending with cream mixture. Cover and cook on low for 10 hours or until potatoes are tender.
(1) I skipped the white cheddar cheese and just used 16 ounces of regular cheddar.
from Delicious Family Favorites 2014 magazine
Latest posts by Patty (see all)
- Tracking on Regular Planner Pages - February 10, 2016
- Are a Grocery List and Menu Plan Really Necessary?! - February 9, 2016
- Salmon & Spinach Salad with Avocado - February 9, 2016