Fruit flies are disgusting and annoying. I’ve had them in my kitchen occasionally but never tried to do anything to get rid of them. I figured they would eventually go away, which they did.
But a reader asked me how to get rid of them NOW. So I did a little research and discovered you actually can get rid of them and it’s not that hard.
Here’s what you do:
1. Put a piece of rotten fruit in a large, clean jar.
2. Place the jar near the fruit flies.
3. Make a paper funnel and place the small opening in the jar with the wide opening at the top of the jar. The fruit flies will enter the cone through the large end and then they’re trapped (fruit flies are not the brightest creatures on the planet).
4. After you get a bunch, take the jar outside and release the flies.
Here’s another option:
1. Put a piece of old, skinless fruit and some balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar in a bowl.
2. Cover the bowl tightly (no wrinkles) with plastic wrap.
3. Poke many small holes in the plastic with a fork or some other sharp object. Keep the holes tiny because large holes allow the flies to escape.
4. After you get a bunch in the bowl, take the bowl outside and release the flies. With this method, a stray fly or two can escape before you get the bowl emptied.
Get your vacuum out, and using a hand held attachment, vacuum as many fruit flies as you can. I’ve heard this actually works.
And one final option:
Leave a small bowl filled with alcohol (wine, bourbon, beer, any kind will work) on the counter. The fruit flies go for a swim and never recover. I don’t have any alcohol at my house so I couldn’t test this one. But I heard it works.
If you want to read more, here are a couple of resources: