I tried this recipe for the first time last night and it was definitely a keeper! These breadsticks were really easy, especially if you use frozen bread dough instead of making your own dough, and they look so pretty! Here’s a printable version: Italian Cheese Twists Printable Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed (I made my own dough using the recipe for Italian Bread)
- ¼ cup butter, softened (I didn’t use all the butter – maybe 2/3 of it)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¾ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds and/or grated Parmesan cheese (I used parmesan cheese)
On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch square. Combine butter and seasonings; spread over dough. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Fold dough into thirds.
Cut crosswise into 24 strips, ½ inch each. Twist each strip twice; pinch ends to seal.
Place 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, beat egg and water; brush over the twists. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and/or Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown. Yield: 2 dozen.
from Taste of Home magazine
Latest posts by Patty (see all)
- When Life Messes up your Menu Plan - March 13, 2016
- Why I Don’t Ever Want Another French Door Refrigerator - March 10, 2016
- When Your Best Friend Needs a Planner . . . - March 9, 2016