Laundry is one thing I’ve always been good at – until we moved here. Since we moved into this house, I’ve had laundry sitting everywhere:
I never did that before. So what changed? That’s what I decided to find out. After careful evaluation, I discovered several problems:
1. In the past, I had set days to do laundry – Monday, Wednesday and Friday. But these days I’ve been doing it whenever I have a chance. That doesn’t work for me! When I’m fitting it in when I can, there’s no urgency to finish it because there’s always laundry somewhere, in some stage of the process. But when I did it on set days, I knew I was doing laundry on those days and my goal was always to FINISH it.
2. My new house is bigger. Well, it’s not really bigger but we’re using all of it. The old house had an upstairs and we didn’t really use it. All the rooms where the laundry went were close to each other. In this house, everything is more spread out so it’s not as convenient to put things away. (Oh, my gosh, this sounds SO lame!!!)
3. In the old house, I folded laundry on my bed. Because it was on my bed, there was more motivation to get it done because I needed my bed clear by bedtime so I could sleep in it. In the new house, I fold laundry on an extra, unused bed. That means, if I don’t get it done, it’s no big deal! So guess what? I don’t always get it done.
4. My husband’s closet is currently located in the same room my grandson uses when he’s here. That means that if I’m doing laundry when the kids are here, I can’t get in that room to fold (that’s the bed I use) or put stuff away. (The bulk of the laundry goes in that room.) I don’t want to fold the laundry in my bedroom because it’s upstairs and most of the clothes and linens go on the main floor. So instead of bringing it up to fold, I leave it downstairs in the basement. And then I forget it. You know, out of sight, out of mind!
So after my evaluation, I was actually encouraged. I thought maybe I had lost my touch but instead I just have a few obstacles to overcome. So the solution I came up with is actually really simple: go back to set laundry days of Monday, Wednesday and Friday. If I do that . . .
- I’ll know when I’m doing laundry & won’t have to think about whether to do it;
- I don’t get to consider it DONE until it’s all washed, dried, folded and put away;
- The grandkids won’t be here on those days so the folding bed and David’s closet will be available.
Simple. But effective.
If you’re having problems getting your laundry done,
Analyze the problem
Figure out a solution
Do you struggle to get laundry done? What obstacles do you face?
Other cleaning articles are available here.