This soup has it all: easy, convenient, cheap and healthy. And, oh yeah, it tastes great.
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, sorted, rinsed
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 package (6 ounces) sliced Canadian bacon, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, cut into ½-inch pieces (1 cup) (1)
- 1 medium potato, peeled, cut into ½-inch pieces (1 cup) (2)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium stalk celery, cut into ½-inch pieces (1/2 cup) (3)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (4)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
Spray 3-1/2 to 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In slow cooker, mix all ingredients. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 9 hours (for High heat setting 3 to 5 hours) or until lentils are tender. Stir well before serving.
(1) I doubled the carrots.
(2) I doubled the potatoes.
(3) I omitted the celery – we don’t like it.
(4) I didn’t have any thyme so I used 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
from Betty Crocker Cookbook