My husband found this recipe in the September 2013 issue of Runners World Magazine and asked me to make it. I didn’t eat it, of course, but he thought it was fabulous.
Ingredients for Burgers:
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- ½ cup chopped feta cheese
- ½ cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil (1)
- 1/3 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
Ingredients for Spread:
- ½ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (2)
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika (3)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
In a large bowl, mix burger ingredients. Form into 4 patties (4) and grill 6 minutes per side, or until cooked through. (5)
In a blender or food processor, combine spread ingredients. Blend until smooth. Serve burgers topped with the spread.
(1) I used 1 teaspoon dried basil.
(2) I used ½ teaspoon dried thyme.
(3) I used regular paprika.
(4) I actually made 5 patties.
(5) I intended to grill the burgers but it didn’t work out so I cooked them on the George Foreman grill. You could easily cook them in the skillet, griddle or bake them.