by Elizabeth Scholes
I’m a morning person. If you asked me what my favorite time of the day is, I would tell you 6-10 am. In case you think I’m utterly nuts, please keep reading. I want to share the truth about us annoying morning people and also help those of you who are “morning challenged” to get up and at ‘em easier.
When you envision a morning person, you might think that means our eyes pop wide open at an early hour, our bodies refuse to let us sleep longer and we jump out of bed quickly with a song on our lips. I would say for most, that’s not true. Because of the demands of mothering five children, my body is usually not ready to get out of bed when that early alarm goes off. Left to how I feel at the moment, I can easily turn my alarm off and sleep longer. But once I put mind over matter and choose to get out of bed, the energy levels start building quickly. I find myself much more productive at an early hour and that is what I think is key.
Some tips for easier and earlier rising:
- Don’t buy into the lie that a 15 minute snooze is really going to grant you a more rested body. An hour maybe, but definitely not 15 minutes.
- If you’re constantly struggling to find time to exercise, have prayer time, write thank you cards, pay bills, etc., consider getting up earlier instead of finding time during your already busy day.
- Put yourself to bed at a good time so that you still get 6-8 hours of sleep. I have learned that I require 7-8 hours of sleep to be my best. This means that about 9:45 each night I purposefully shut everything off and head to bed by 10 pm. If it takes you longer to unwind, start that process earlier.
- Think about the cost of sleeping later. For me, it means that I have zero time to myself all day and do not have time to exercise, spend time in prayer and Bible study and to drink a cup of coffee in silence. Waking between 5:00 and 6:00 am is absolutely worth it to me because of that!
- If none of those work for you, consider rewarding yourself with a morning drink or treat that you otherwise will not get if you sleep later.
Are you a morning person? How do you make yourself get up?