I have a LOT of spices. In the past, my husband has always come up with an efficient way to store them. But in this house, he’s been so busy remodeling the whole house that he hasn’t had time to get to that – despite my frequent complaints.
I’ve tried several different approaches with only limited success. But I finally had enough. No, I didn’t make my husband fix it. I fixed it myself and I’m quite pleased with the results.
Take a look at this afternoon’s 30 minute project:
- First I removed all the spices from the drawer and set them up on the counter.
- Then I cleaned out the drawer. Apparently some of the spices had spilled – probably because I didn’t put the lids on tight. Oops.
- I went through the spices looking for ones that were really old, duplicates or rarely used.
- I labeled the top of each spice bottle so I could see at a glance what was in the bottle. I used a black sharpie on the bottles that with light colored lids and a silver sharpie on the bottles with dark lids.
- I put the new storage containers in the drawer and put the spices back. I got the containers at Dollar Tree for $1 for 4 trays.
- I almost had enough room for everything but I did have to double stack a couple of the short spice bottles and put some of them in the extra space along the back and side of the storage containers.
I am one happy camper! The drawer looks a lot better and now I won’t have to spend 15 minutes digging for the one spice I need.
Do you have a lot of spices? How are yours organized?