This light pasta dish was just the ticket for a healthy and tasty dinner.
- 1 (16 ounces) package dried penne pasta (1)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into cubes
- salt & pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 bunch slender asparagus spears, trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced (2)
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Warm 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder (3). Cook until chicken is cooked through and browned, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to paper towels
Pour chicken broth into the skillet. Stir in asparagus, garlic, a pinch more garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cover and steam until the asparagus is just tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Return chicken to the skillet and warm through.
Stir chicken mixture into pasta and mix well. Let sit about 5 minutes. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Stir again and then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (4).
(1) I only had 8 ounces but it worked fine.
(2) Or just use jarred garlic.
(3) I also added 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning and 1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
(4) Whatever kind of Parmesan cheese you have is fine but I used shredded Parmesan instead of canned Parmesan.
recipe from allrecipes.com