I’ve seen this recipe in magazines for several years and wanted to try it but never had an opportunity. I finally made it – with a few modifications, of course. It’s a keeper!
- 6 oz. (3/4 of 8-oz. package) Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened (1)
- 6 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (2)
- ½ cup chopped green peppers
- 24 slices Oscar Mayer Pepperoni, coarsely chopped (3)
Beat cream cheese, eggs, salt and seasonings until well blended.
Melt butter in 10-inch ovenproof skillet (4) on medium heat. Add mushrooms and peppers; cook and stir 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in pepperoni and cream cheese mixture. Cover (5), cook 5 minutes or until center is almost set.
Heat broiler. (6) Uncover frittata. Broil, 6 inches from heat, 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Serve topped with pizza sauce. (7)
(1) I always use the Neufchâtel which is lower in fat and calories without being completely fat free.
(2) I used canned mushrooms.
(3) David’s not a big fan of pepperoni so I used a package of grilled chicken strips. In the future I’ll make my own but on this day I used the packaged chicken.
(4) I didn’t have a 10-inch ovenproof skillet. Mine was more like a 14. It worked okay. If you don’t have an ovenproof skillet, just skip the broiling. I hate to broil so I didn’t do it.
(5) If you don’t have a lid (I don’t), use foil or cover the skillet with another pan.
(6) You don’t have to do this if you don’t want to. I didn’t.
(7) Of course, I didn’t use pizza sauce since mine wasn’t really a “pizza”.