Let’s face it. We all go through times where life is different every single day and our planner format just doesn’t always cut it. In fact, sometimes we feel like we need a completely different format every day!
You know what I’m talking about.
Day 1: A rare quiet day at home so you need a nice, long, detailed list so you don’t waste the day.
Day 2: So much to do that you’re not sure you can get it all done. That type of day calls for a schedule so you can plot everything out and decide what to do when and what has to be skipped.
Day 3: So many appointments and errands that you’re not going to have time to do anything on a to-do list anyway.
Day 4: A “tentative” day. You need to be prepared for anything. On this day, your strategy is to list your priorities, mark them in order or importance, and start working down the list.
And so on.
Sometimes planner pages are generic enough that you can use your page in a different way every day and accommodate your changing needs but most aren’t. At least sometimes, it would be helpful to have a different format for your crazy day.
If that’s the case for you, you have some options.
1. Use a week-at-a-glance calendar for appointments and day specific to-do’s and insert blank paper for to-do lists when you need them. You can structure the to-do list any way you want it since it’s on blank paper.
2. Have a set of custom pages available in a section of your planner for use when you need something different. For example:
3. Put a large post-it note on your page and make your day specific plan on that.
4. Put the basics or priorities on your planner page and then use a piece of scratch paper you can throw away when you’re done. I don’t personally recommend this because then you don’t have a permanent record of what you did. But if you don’t need to save the list, this could be a good option.
5. Re-work your planner page so it works for your needs that day. If you’ve read any of my articles about how to use a planner page, you know I’ve modified my pages in all kinds of crazy ways. Just a couple of days ago I started making my list the way I normally do and realized I needed something different for that day. So I modified it and here’s what I ended up with:
Do you ever feel like you need a different format every day? How do you handle it when you do?
Latest posts by Patty (see all)
- When Life Messes up your Menu Plan - March 13, 2016
- Why I Don’t Ever Want Another French Door Refrigerator - March 10, 2016
- When Your Best Friend Needs a Planner . . . - March 9, 2016