This recipe is another family favorite that I’ve been making for years. The recipe filling includes sausage and cheese but you could include anything you want. My family recently suggested adding eggs and making it a breakfast sandwich. I hadn’t thought of that! You can also serve it as an appetizer by cutting the squares smaller. See – versatile! I like that.
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cup warm water (120 to 130 degrees)
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage (I use the Farmland sausage in a roll)
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced (I omit)
- 1 green pepper, diced (I omit)
- 1 large onion, diced (I omit)
- 4 cups (16 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese (you could get by with less if you wanted – 3 cups works, too)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan
- 2 tablespoon minced parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
In a bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast & salt. Add warm water (120 to 130 degrees); mix well.
Add enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. (After I mix up the first 2 cups, I switch to the dough hook on my Kitchen-Aid.)
Turn onto floured surface (I knead in my Kitchen-Aid with the dough hook). Knead until smooth & elastic, about six minutes.
Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover & let rise in warm place until doubled, about 50 minutes.
Cook sausage until no longer pink; remove with slotted spoon & set aside. In the drippings, sauté peppers & onion until tender; drain (I don’t include the peppers and onion).
Press half of dough onto bottom and ½-inch up the sides of a greased 15x10x1 inch baking pan.
Spread sausage evenly over crust.
Top with peppers & onion. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
Roll out remaining dough to fit pan.
Place dough over cheese and seal edges. (It’s hard to get it to fit exactly so I just roll it out and set it on top and then stretch it to fit.)
In a small bowl, beat egg & water. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Brush over dough. Cut slits in top and bake at 400 for 20 to 25 minutes.
For a printable recipe, click here: Sausage Sandwich Squares Printable
Latest posts by Patty (see all)
- Are a Grocery List and Menu Plan Really Necessary?! - February 9, 2016
- Salmon & Spinach Salad with Avocado - February 9, 2016
- What’s For Dinner (No. 192) & Cooking Tips, Too! - December 14, 2015