I’ve been looking for a good scalloped potatoes and ham recipe for a while. I think this is it.
- 3 pounds potatoes, washed thoroughly
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cups diced ham (I used turkey ham)
- 1-1/2 cups half and half
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ cups flour
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack Cheese
- chopped parsley (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a large casserole dish.
2. Heat butter in a large skillet. Add onions and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until they start to turn translucent. Add ham and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Combine half and half and cream in a microwave-safe container and heat for a minute or so, until no longer cold. Whisk in flour and black pepper until totally combined. Set aside.
4. Combine the two grated cheeses. Set aside.
5, Using a mandoline or slicer, slice potatoes into 1/8 inch slices (very thin) (I don’t have either of those so I just used my knife and got them as thin as I could). Layer 1/3 of the potato slices in the buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle on 1/3 of the ham/onion mixture, then 1/3 of the cheese, then pour on 1/3 of the cream mixture.
Repeat this twice more, ending with a sprinkling of cheese and a pouring on of the rest of the cream mixture. Cover dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes at least, or until bubbly and hot.
Cut into squares and serve. Sprinkle on chopped parsley if you’d like.
NOTE: To speed along the process a bit, you may boil sliced potatoes for 3 to 5 minutes before assembling the casserole. Just drain and slightly cool before assembling. (I did boil the potatoes prior to assembling the casserole but I still cooked it the full amount of time.)