Since I don’t like fish, I didn’t eat this but my husband did and he loved it! The truth is, it smells really good and I was actually tempted to try it. I kind of wish I did.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (1)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3-4 tilapia filets (or other fish of choice) (2)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh sweet corn kernels (sliced off the cob is best) (3)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 can black beans
- About 2 cups cooked brown rice
Mix the spices together in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over both sides of the fish filets. You can also adjust the amount of spices to suit your taste. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
In a large cast iron skillet (4) over medium-high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil. Add the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add the fish filets to the pan. Grill the fish on each side for several minutes, checking the middle for doneness (fish should be completely white and flake apart easily). Remove fish filets and set aside.
Add the corn, red peppers and onions to the pan with no additional oil. Heat over high heat for several minutes without stirring to get a brownish-black roasted look on the outside. (5) Repeat for several minutes (stirring and waiting for the mixture to brown) until the peppers and onions are tender-crisp. Add the black beans and heat through.
In four serving bowls, layer the rice, corn/pepper mixture and fish in a bowl; or you can mix everything together in the skillet. (6)
If desired, garnish with fresh cilantro, salsa, avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream or salsa).
(1) I omitted. We don’t like things hot.
(2) I did use tilapia.
(3) I used frozen corn.
(4) I don’t have a cast iron skillet so I just used my regular skillet.
(5) This step is important. The smoky smell is amazing.
(6) I mixed it all together. The recipe doesn’t tell you to shred the fish but you’ll want to. It doesn’t take much effort – it pretty much just falls apart.
from Go Gluten Free Magazine, June/July 2014
Latest posts by Patty (see all)
- When Life Messes up your Menu Plan - March 13, 2016
- Why I Don’t Ever Want Another French Door Refrigerator - March 10, 2016
- When Your Best Friend Needs a Planner . . . - March 9, 2016