David said this was REALLY good. So it’s going on our favorites list and we’ll be making it often.
- 1 (3-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces (1)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- 24 green olives, pitted
- ½ cup gluten-free chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine (2)
- 1 teaspoon prepared Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce (3)
- 2 cups cooked white rice (4)
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
Sprinkle the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and brown them in the butter in a large skillet for about 3 minutes on each side. Sauté the onion in the same skillet for an additional 3 to 5 minutes. Pour chicken, onion, capers and olives into a greased 4-quart slow cooker.
In a small bowl, whisk together the broth, wine and mustard. Pour over chicken in the slow cooker. Add hot sauce. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or on low for 5-1/2 to 6 hours.
When ready to serve, place chicken over rice. Ladle sauce and olives over each serving. Garnish with parsley.
(1) I used four boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
(2) I used 1 cup of chicken broth and skipped the wine.
(3) I omitted.
(4) Brown rice for us.
from Better Homes & Gardens Gluten-Free Recipes 2014