A grocery list and menu plan is something I’ve been doing pretty much every week since I became a full-time homemaker 30 years ago. And I’ve pretty much done it the same way the whole time. In case you’re curious . . . here’s how I do it.
- Retrieve my list from the refrigerator. As soon as I get home from grocery shopping, I put a new list on the refrigerator. I’ve been using the Franklin Planner grocery list forms as long as I can remember. I keep it on the refrigerator during the week, adding to it as I notice we need things, and then finalizing it when I plan meals for the next week.
- Get a stack of magazines to look through for new recipes. I get some recipes from on-line, but I get most of them from magazines. Looking on-line isn’t as fun for me as looking through a magazine. I usually get recipes on-line when I’m looking for something specific. Otherwise I just look through the magazines until something catches my eye. We’re currently eating primarily low FODMAP which rules out a lot of recipes, but I still look because many recipes can easily be modified.
- Check my calendar to see what’s going on for the next week.
- Date the menu plan and note what’s going on. What I prepare depends on who’s coming over and how much time I’ll have. My son and daughter-in-law usually come over once a week so I write that down. David teaches at the gym twice so he eats dinner later that night. If I have the kids all day, I choose something easy because I won’t have much time to cook. Recording what’s going on helps me plan appropriate meals.
- Look through the magazines and choose recipes that look good. Then I fill in with tried and true recipes. I usually plan five meals instead of seven since we go out sometimes or have leftovers.
- Add meal ingredients to the shopping list.
- Then I take photos of the recipes with my iPhone (I pull them out of the magazines) just in case the recipe goes missing before I can make it.
- Next I put the magazines away and then head to the kitchen and put the recipes on the refrigerator so they’ll be easy to find when I’m ready to make them.
- I look through the cabinets and pantry to see what I need to add to the list.
- I put prices by all the items on the list and add it up. If it’s too much, I make adjustments until it works.
That’s how I do it. It sounds like a lot of work but it really only takes about 30 minutes. Let me know if you have any questions. And I’d love to hear how you make your grocery list and menu.