Everyone wants to be more organized. I know I do. In my quest to be more organized, I’ve come up with a few things that have made my life easier. Maybe some of them will help you, too.
1. In the drawer or cabinet where you keep plastic storage containers, put all the lids in a plastic shoebox or some other container. Stand them upright so it’s easy to find the lid you need.
2. To organize your jewelry, use ice trays! Stack them in a drawer or on a shelf. You can keep your jewelry organized very easily this way.
3. Purchase a message pad from your local office supply store or Walmart and keep it and a pen near the phone. My favorite message pad is a spiral bound book that has three messages per page plus duplicate copies. Write the message, tear off the top copy and still have a permanent record of the message.
4. Label everything that goes in storage! When you put a box in your storage area, write on the outside everything that’s in the box. It will make it much easier to retrieve items later if the box is labeled. Another method is to number the boxes and keep a list on your computer of each numbered box with its contents. Either way works.
5. Keep your larger kitchen utensils (serving spoons, wooden spoons, spatulas, etc.) in a crock or similar container on your counter top.
6. If you have to keep your spices in a drawer, stand them upright, and using a sharpie, write the name of the spice on the top of the lid. Then you can quickly find what you need.
7. To keep your purse organized, use clear cosmetic bags. If you switch purses, it’s easy to grab the bags and put them in another purse. And if you need something, you don’t have to dig for it – just pull the clear bag out and locate the item you need.
8. Think outside the box for storage. For example, just because a closet is called a linen closet doesn’t mean you have to use it that way. My last house had a very small kitchen and not enough storage space. I had a linen closet but not a lot of linens so I moved the linens to the bedrooms and bathrooms and used the closet as a pantry. It worked great.
9. Instead of storing sheets in the linen closet, store them in the bedroom where they will be used. I have a wicker laundry basket in my bedroom that doubles as a side table. I store my sheets in the basket which frees up space in the linen closet. And the basket looks pretty sitting next to the chair.
10. If your vacuum cleaner has a short cord, add a heavy duty extension cord so you can vacuum more area before you have to unplug and re-plug. My house isn’t large so with my extension cord, I am able to vacuum the whole house without moving the plug even once.
There you go – ten terrific organizing tips. Which ones will make your life more organized?