My husband is a brilliant man. He has a gift for making small changes that bring HUGE results.
The other day he came home with a new welcome mat. Here’s the thing – neither of us can remember when we bought our current welcome mat or if we even did buy it. Maybe it came with the house. We’re not sure. But it had gotten really worn out and ugly and we hadn’t even noticed.
So he bought a new mat, and oh, my gosh! It looked amazing!
See if you agree:
So if you’re feeling a little bored with your house but don’t really have the money right now to do any major remodeling, maybe a little change or two will brighten things up and bring about the huge results that my new welcome mat did.
Here are some things that can be changed fairly inexpensively:
1. Throw pillows on the furniture. Maybe your pillows are worn out or just boring. Shop around and see what you can find. Or, if you’re handy with a sewing machine, just grab some fabric and make new covers for the old pillows. It’s not hard!
2. Bathroom accessories like towels, rugs or shower curtain. A new shower curtain can make a gigantic difference; even different colored towels. My bathroom has blue walls and the shower curtain is striped with blue, yellow, purple, and white. I have two sets of towels that I alternate. One set is aqua and the other is yellow. The aqua towels are okay but I LOVE the yellow ones. And now, in the spirit of sprucing, I think I’m going to get some purple towels.
3. Add an arrangement of silk flowers or a potted plant. Plants and flowers really make a house look homey.
4. Replace a rug. It could be a small rug like the one by the front door or the larger rug under the coffee table. If you shop around, you can often find 4×6 or 5×7 rugs for reasonable prices. And changing the rug can change the look of a room.
5. Rearrange the furniture. I love rearranging the furniture but my husband isn’t too excited about that. Fortunately for him, our floor plan doesn’t lend itself well to changes so I don’t get to rearrange (not that I haven’t tried!). But if you can, moving things around a little bit can make it feel like a whole new room! If you can’t rearrange, maybe you can switch a few pieces out. Move the family room lamps to the living room. Or switch the coffee tables. Or get rid of a piece you hate or that’s in the way. Just change something!
Now take a look around your house and see what you can do to get a new look for a minimal price.