Do you ever have things you need to save that are too small to put in a file? Or things that don’t really go in any particular file? Years ago I read about something called a Miscellaneous Papers Box. And that’s exactly what it’s for – all those small things that don’t have a home but that you need to save.
To set up the box, get a 4×6 index card box and a set of alphabetical dividers. Put the dividers in the box and you’re good to go.
I’ve had my box for about 20 years and here are some of the things currently in there:
- Credit cards I don’t use but want to keep
- Glasses & contact lens prescriptions
- Shot records for the kids
- Fingerprints for the kids
- Pictures of several hairstyles I liked
- Personal Property Tax Receipts (when we used to get a business card size card as our receipt)
- Important Receipts
- Social Security Cards
- An envelope with cool stamps I was saving
- Membership cards
There’s no limit to the kinds of things you can store in this box. And it’s much better than trying to create a file for each of these small items.
So the next time you’re out, grab a box and some dividers and set up your own Miscellaneous Papers Box.