The first thing I do when I get up in the morning is make my bed. Always. The rare exception is if my husband’s still in it (which he never is) or if I immediately strip the bedding to wash it. Even if I know I’m going to strip the bedding later that day, I still make the bed. And if the bed somehow gets unmade (nap, grandkids, etc.), I make it before I get in it that night. Even here in our temporary quarters (living with the kids while we look for a house), I still make the bed first thing.
To make it easy, I have very simple bedding –
2 pillow shams
That’s it. No decorative blankets. No decorative pillows. I have sheet grippers on both sides of the bed to keep the fitted sheet smooth and the bed has a footboard which keeps the bedding in place
So why bother making the bed everyday since you’re only going to get back in it at night? Here are a few reasons:
1. Your bedroom looks cleaner and more inviting.
2. If your bed is made, you’ll be more apt to keep your bedroom clean and tidy.
3. And if you bedroom is clean and tidy, you won’t have to shut the door when you have guests or worry that someone will open the door while they’re trying to find the bathroom and see the mess that is your bedroom.
4. It feels better to crawl into a smooth, orderly bed rather than one where the sheets are crumpled and wrinkly and the blankets are twisted.
5. And a smooth, orderly bed feels cleaner.
6. It sets the tone for the whole house. If your bed is made, it makes you want to make the rest of the house tidy, too.
7. Some argue that “closing” the bed keeps germs in but I think it keeps them out, plus a variety of other things like floating dog hair. Plus the grandkids like to jump on the bed and they don’t always take their shoes off. I’d rather they got dirt on the bedspread than the sheets.
Of course, there are exceptions. If your spouse sleeps during the day then you obviously can’t make the bed while he or she is in it. Well, I guess you could try but it probably wouldn’t work very well.
And if you really just don’t care, that’s okay, too. It’s your house and you can do what you want. But for me and my house, we make the bed every day!
Do you make your bed every day? If you don’t, why not?